Useful terms and definitions to create a superior blog
There are some specific terms that we apply at emyspot when publishing new content on your blog.
To make it clear and demystify the universe of blogging, we define the terms that are used when you create a blog with emyspot, so that you can spend more time and energy working on content.
What is a blog?
A blog is a tool dedicated to publishing posts and articles. These posts are displayed from newest to oldest in reverse chronological order and can be associated with tags and or organized into the categories of the blog. A blog is an undeniable method to create interaction with your site visitors.
Use the blog as a platform to talk directly to your website visitors, give another point of view on your company, interests, activities. And the blogger and the blog readers will interest through comments on the posts. A blog is often regarded negatively by webmasters who are searching to build a site. Yet, the blog is a powerful communication tool that gives you the ability to inform user's of the updated features of your site. The blog can stand-alone or be integrated into your site with the push of a button.
Terms and definitions
- A post : This is synonymous with the term article, and it contains the content entry that you wish to be published at the same time. To publish a post is to put your new post or article content online.
- Reverse chronological order : This is the standard way blog posts are presented and cannot be changed. This means that posts will be displayed from most recent to the oldest post.
- A tag : The keywords that allow you link multiple posts from your blog to each other. Adding tags to your blog posts is a method to present your content by keywords for your users (through a tag cloud). By clicking on a tag the user can consult all related posts that have the same tag.
- The RSS flux: The live feed of your blog can be found by putting "yoursiteadress.com/blog/do/rss.xml" in the navigation bar. You can propose to your users to subscribe to the content flux, receive all updates automatically as soon as a post is published.
- Scheduled : You can decide the date and the time you wish your posts to be published. You can write a post in advance and then publish it as you wish. We explain to you how to plan your posts in this helpful tutorial : publish your posts.
Create a blog or create a site ?
You do not need to choose between a site OR a blog. It is completely possible to create a site with a blog. This is done by simply integrating your blog into your site when you enable the blog. You can find out more in the section : enable the blog add-on.
Activating a blog and adding rich content regularly through new posts, keeps your website pertinent and is a way to create loyal readers. We will find out more about this in the section dedicated to successful blogging.